Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Minga's Machine a No Go

The attempt to use my grandmother's old sewing machine did not work out as expected. I figured that it might not be able to handle thick fabric. I figured it might be slow. But I was not expecting the smoke-ish stuff that was coming out. (You know, after taking a good 10 minutes to even figure out how to turn the thing on.)

Perhaps you are thinking that I should have looked online for a manual to show me how to use it.


 

I did, and do you know what I got when I typed in the model number:

Antique

Vintage

Collectable

I think that somewhere I even saw the date 1930…although I don't think this one is actually that old.

As much as I wanted to start my project, I really didn't want to risk burning my house down. I know, I know…I've had firefighter training, my husband is a firefighter, but we really don't want to practice those skills on our own house. I was a little sad that I was not going to be able to use Minga's machine. (That's the name that I made up for my grandma when I was very young.) I thought that it would have been a nice way to remember her. But if I start writing too much about her I am going to have a soggy keyboard, and this post won't be on sewing anymore…perhaps that will be another post.


 

So there sat my newly purchased fabric with no machine to sew it.


 

…until…

I found a great machine on Craig's List for a pretty good price. We picked it up yesterday and I made a small pouch for my iPod as a test run. It turned out pretty well. Today I made my project. A blanket. A.very.simple.rustic-looking.blanket.

But a blanket nonetheless. I'm sure my technique would make someone who really knows how to sew cringe. *Side Note* When I was buying some of the fabric for the blanket I was very honest with the lady who was helping me. I told her that I didn't know a lot about sewing and I didn't know anything about my machine. At the end, after purchasing the fabric she added, "Do you have thread?"

Ahem, I hope that I did not appear that ignorant as to what I was doing. :)

And now I am out of fabric. No more sewing projects. (at least until I get to the store to get more fabric…) Oh the possibilities…so many floating around in my head…

4 comments:

Terisa said...

you need to post a picture!!

Ellis Family said...

Same comment. I want to see a picture of your projects. :)

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Awww, I'm sorry that Minga's machine didn't work out for you. I'm sure she'd be happy that you were sewing, though. And I'm glad that you found a machine that works for you, yay! By the way, I gave you an award on blog, come check it out if you have a minute :)

Davene said...

That's too bad about your grandmother's machine, but I'm glad that you found another one so quickly. I'm with the other commenters: where's the pic? :)