Friday, April 29, 2011

School

This week we started preschool at home. Kaylee is totally into it, but Logan's attention span is not quite up for it. He sits for a while, comes and goes, which is completely what I expected.

A few weeks ago Kaylee finished up at Jenny's with the preschool she was doing. That experience was invaluable, and I am so thankful we did it. We did some looking into preschool for both of them in the fall, but for several reasons, it's not going to work.

We knew not doing anything wouldn't be good for Kaylee. She learned so much, and I hate to just stop all together, so the only logical thing was for me to do school with them at home. Our plan is to mostly do stuff while Adam is working because those days are the days it is hardest for me to do my work anyway.

I don't have a curriculum or anything, but we're having fun. We start with prayer, our memory Bible verse, and then go from there. I can tailor it to what Kaylee feels like doing. The other day when we started, they were begging me to do school all day.

We were working on adding, and Kaylee said, "Hmm, that's funny, 4+4=8, and 2+6=8. Let me see if I'm right. ... Yup, I'm right."

Obviously, she picks up on stuff quickly, so she is really fun to teach. I am so thankful we are able to make the sacrifices necessary for me to be at home with them. It's not always easy to be at home all day. I miss interaction with friends, a steady paycheck, and sometimes quiet. :) However, I'd never trade even our worst days for anything.

Adam works so hard to make all this possible. He works overtime almost anytime there is some available. Next week, he has 36 hours of overtime in addition to his already 48-72-hour normal schedule. That's a lot of the firehouse! We miss him. He misses us.

When we have weeks like that, we always try to do something special and fun as a family right before or right after, like going to the park, going out to eat, or even just spending extra time NOT doing housework.

I look around, and am often overwhelmed. Sometimes it's overwhelming to think of everything I have to do. Laundry. Cleaning. Diaper changes. Dishes. Vacuuming. Dusting. Diaper changes. But mostly, it's overwhelming in a good way. I have three amazing kids and one absolutely amazing husband. God was way generous when He allowed me to be born for such a time as this, and placed in such a place as this.

I have recently been so grateful and amazed about God's provisions, but I think I'll save that for another post.

Time to go...

1 comment:

Jenny Whiting said...

That is great that you are doing school with Kaylee. I haven't done anymore with Marie since we stopped preschool...which makes me realize again how great it was that we did preschool because without that obligation, I probably wouldn't have done any "school" with Marie consistently. So I need to get back on a little schedule with her. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy all these moments. I also feel very blessed...lately I've been thinking about pregnancy and babies (of course!) and about how women through history have had babies and how it's so much easier for us with modern medicine and knowledge. Whenever I think to complain, I think about how I shouldn't because really I have so many more conveniences and comforts than most women have had. Anyway, also happy to be born at this time and place! :)