Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Saving Money

I'm in the middle of watching that new extreme couponing show right now, so it has me thinking about saving money, and perhaps snipping a few more coupons.

Here are a few things we do to save money:
1. We make our own laundry detergent. I think in the past year, or so, we've spent maybe around $15 on detergent, and we do a TON of laundry!

2. We shop discount stores as much as we can. Adam and I have talked about this numerous times how blessed we are to have numerous stores that offer super discounts. One of my favorite local grocery stores sells name-brand yogurt for 12-15 cents a container as a regular price, and a few weeks ago I got name-brand cheese, 2lbs for 99 cents! I was excited about that for a long time!

3. I use mostly cloth diapers. It is a lot of work, but saves so much, especially since we have two in diapers.

4. We rarely impulse buy. This one is a little harder for me than it is Adam, which is why it's good we shop together most of the time. It is incredibly rare that we buy something pricey without planning, searching for the best deal, and making sure we really need it.

5. I'm sure there are more, but finally, if we can't afford it, we don't get it. It's simple, but it really works. We have both decided debt is something we want to avoid as much as we possibly can.

So how about you? What do you do to save money? What kind of coupon tips do you have?

2 comments:

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Jeremy and I were watching that show last night too, and I seriously sat there with my mouth dropped open the entire time! I know people who are serious about their coupons, but buying $1,000 worth of groceries for less than $40? That is crazy! And has definitely motivated me to at least be better about using coupons :)

Ellis Family said...

I didn't watch. I haven't figured out the coupon thing. I usually buy store brands and feel like I save money that way. I found this lady's blog on a multiples blog that I follow. She has a 31-day video series on simple ways to save on groceries, plus lots of other ways to save money. You might be interested. http://www.moneywisemoms.com/2011/03/31-days-of-grocery-savings.html
She has some good ideas.