Monday, March 28, 2011

Puppies, Puppies Everywhere


I think I've mentioned them before, but seven weeks ago, Zoe, our youngest boxer had puppies. Eight of them to be exact. Four years ago, when Riley had puppies there were only six. Two actually does make a difference. Oh, and also the fact we have two more kids.

So for the past 7 weeks we have been taking care of the cutest little furballs. There were six boys, two girls, and one tired mama. (Zoe...well, and me, so I guess that would be two tired mamas.)

Right now four of them are sold, although one is still living here while his new family moves into a new home. One of the girls (whom Kaylee named Clementine) was K's favorite. We knew she was going to her new home on Friday night, and that was the night the kids wanted to go to Adam's parents. I had mixed feelings about what I thought would be better for Kaylee...to be her or to not be here.

Finally, I just gave her the choice. I told her she could either be here and say goodbye one more time or go to Mimi and Pop's house, but Clementine wouldn't be here when she got back. Not surprisingly, she picked going to visit Mimi and Pops, but let's just say the devistation was still pretty massive. Let the sobbing begin. I actually just about joined in with her, not so much because I missed the puppy, but because I know it was just so painful for her to know she was gone.

As the tears welled up in my own eyes, I just held her tight, telling her Clementine was going to a loving home where they would love her and take care of her. Today, a few days later, she seems to have recovered from her loss. Thankfully. Oh, I don't know how much more of that heartbreak I could have handled before I tried to keep one of the others for her. Which.I.cannot.do. Oh my...3 kids, 3 dogs, small house. Just won't work.

No comments: