Thursday, December 24, 2009

Before You Know It

While growing up, my dad used the phrase, "It will be here before you know it," all the time. He would say this when referring to a day or event that we were eagerly anticipating. As children, anything we were waiting for seemed eons away, even if it was Christmas Eve and Christmas we were waiting for. I remember countless nights, lying in bed literally bouncing with excitement. It never seemed it would get here soon enough. When we got older, my brother and I would play games and do anything we could late into the evening because we were too excited to sleep. It will be here before you know it.

Going into the holiday season, my heart keeps going back to that phrase. It will be here before you know it. And although being an adult with children of my own changed the responsibilities of preparing for Christmas, I still can't wait. But as I reflect on this past year, the Lord has been using the wisdom in Dad's phrase toward other aspects of my life.

There are so many things swirling around in my head and my heart that I can only start to grasp.

I've thought about the phrase in reference to my children growing up. Life right now seems to be swarming with diapers, binkies, tantrums, snotty noses, diaper rash, and never-ending potty training. I think about the things I'd like to be able to do, but the kids are too young right now. It will be here before you know it. How true that is. It seems like just yesterday I was that kid in my bed, bouncing up and down, waiting to see what was under the tree, and now I have kids myself.

I tend to always be anticipating the next thing. Planning. Getting ready for. Waiting. But not only will all these things be here before I know it, they will be OVER before I know it.

Now I'm not much of one to make New Year's Resolutions, so I'm not going to dub it as such, but this next year I want to focus on treasuring each moment. Don't get me wrong… In no way do I dislike the baby and toddler stage. Quite the contrary. I love it. It's more a general mindset I want to work on. I feel that I'm always waiting for one thing to end and the next to start. If there is something I'm waiting for that is three months away, well…hurry up already. Never mind what might happen in those three months, just get to it.

While I know some of this is the way I'm wired, I also know I can change to a certain extent. So today, the day before Christmas, I want to slow down. Enjoy this day, because tomorrow will be here and be over before I know it. Soon the year will turn over to a new one, filled with experiences and journeys. I can't wait to see what happens, but I will. I will wait and be patient and know today is where I am. I cannot make time go faster or slow down, so I might as well live up every moment.

1 comment:

Ellis Family said...

These thoughts remind me a lot of my own. Being pregnant, I'm definitely trying to treasure the present before our lives completely change again, even though those changes will be wonderful too. I sometimes find myself thinking of the words to Trace Adkins' song You're Gonna Miss This. The lyrics ring true to me!

Another note, I'm going "home" tomorrow and will be there for about a week. Email me your phone number and we'll find a time to meet up!