As we quickly (but sort of slowly) approach our time to leave for the beach, the kids and I had kind of a slow day today. It was cooler and rainy outside, so we stayed in, played, read books, sang some songs, danced, and watched some cartoons.
I started a little packing, but with tomorrow and the weekend left before we leave, there was only so much I could pack and prepare. I have pages of lists of things that have to be done, purchased and packed…but not too much that I could do today.
Now, don't get me wrong. There is still more than plenty to do around the house. There always is. There always will be. And I did do some of it…dishes, laundry, picking up, but since I didn't have work to do I decided to take some extra time and just chill with the kids.
At one point during the day we were all back in Kaylee's room, playing with toys and having fun. I put a CD on for some background music.
As I listened to the following song I was struck again by how quickly my kids are growing up.
I Am
Nicole Nordeman:
Pencil marks on a wall, I wasn't always this tall
You scattered some monsters from beneath my bed
You watched my team win
You watched my team lose
Watched when my bicycle went down again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said, Elbow Healer, Superhero
Come if You can
You said, I Am
Only sixteen, life is so mean
What kind of curfew is at 10pm?
You saw my mistakes
And watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I'd never love again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said Heartache Healer, Secret Keeper
Be my best friend
And you said, I Am
You saw me wear white by pale candlelight
I said forever to what lies ahead
Two kids and a dream, with kids that can scream
Too much it might seem when it is 2am
And when I am weak, unable to speak
Still I will call You by name
Shepherd, Savior, Pasture Maker
Hold onto my hand
You say, I Am
The winds of change and circumstance blow in and all around us
So we find a foothold that's familiar
And bless the moments that we feel You nearer
When life had begun, I was woven and spun
You let the angels dance around the throne
And who can say when, but they'll dance again
When I am free and finally headed home
I will be weak, unable to speak
Still I will call You by name
Creator, Maker, Life Sustainer
Comforter, Healer, my Redeemer
Lord and King, Beginning and the End
I Am
Yes, I Am
As each verse represents a different stage of life, I can look over mine, seeing some being finished and some yet to come, but all going quickly.
So although it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, one thing always leading to another to another to another, today was a good change to savor some of the stiller more quiet moments. (or maybe not so still or quiet)
Like the moment when I was feeding Logan his cereal this morning. He grinned and started shaking his head 'no,' so I shook mine 'yes,' and he continued with a silly grin on his face.
Like the moment when Kaylee heard a new song, jumped up and started dancing all over the room.
Like the moment Kaylee grabbed her blanket and told me she wanted to cuddle with me.
Like the moment(s) I spent chasing Logan out of the dog toy box.
Like the moment Kaylee pooped on the potty. (this = big deal in our potty training.)
Like the moment Logan laid his head down on me and just cuddled.
These are the moments I'd never trade for anything. They're not so monumental in and of themselves, but added up they make my life what it is.
1 comment:
Beautifully said!
I'm not familiar with that song, but I really like the lyrics. I'll have to check it out.
I hope your vacation gets off to a great start!
Post a Comment