Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ten!

Several months ago, we decided to breed Riley again, so about a week ago, we added TEN puppies to the house. They just kept coming, and coming, and coming. When we got to around eight, we thought we were close to done, and then another...and another. Six boys, four girls and (like a proud mama) they're all perfect.

They recently opened their eyes, and they're starting to figure out walking. It's fun to watch them do new things and start looking like dogs and not so much like gerbils. (ew)

Riley is starting to want to go outside more, and is getting brave enough to leave them for a few minutes, so today when I came downstairs to do (yet another) load of laundry, I found her in our room on the dog bed. I figured she was just wanting a break and something more comfortable to lay on. She jumped off the dog bed and ran to the door, so I was excited to see her wanting to go outside after being away from the puppies for a while already. After a bit in the sunshine, she came back in. She jumped into the baby pool where all the puppies are, and quickly snatched up one and tried to take it out of the pool. I made her put it back, and told her they had to stay there. And then I realized...there were only NINE in the pool. "WHERE IS TEN???"

I didn't see any bumps in the blanket, so I knew no one was trapped under, but fortunately I was able to think clearly and quickly and remebered she was in on the dog bed. Sure enough, there he was...all curled up and sleeping. It was like I was freaking out as if I had lost one of my own children, but for weeks and weeks, these little guys take a lot of my time, and I get really attached to them. I just didn't know what to think when one was missing...before the time they can escape on their own.

Picture of sweet puppies to come soon. :) (If you're friends with me on Facebook, you've already seen them.)

No comments: