Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering 9-11


I've been trying to think of just the right words to capture yesterday, the 10-year anniversary of 9-11. It's a day that conjures up many emotions to Americans. It was a day of remembering. A day of rebuilding. A day of being thankful. It was also a day of bringing back images and sounds of that horrific day.

343 - The number of firefighters that gave their lives as they tried to save others. Ask any firefighter I know, and it's just part of the job...the calling. They don't think of themselves as heros, and they often don't get the recognition they deserve.

343...

If you look at the other numbers, there was no other group that lost near that. They ran in, while so many ran away.

It was said yesterday that a firefighter is in the wrong place at the wrong time with the right stuff.

Yesterday, Adam's station dedicated a piece of the North Tower. It was a humbling time just to think of what that steel saw, felt, was witness to.



The memorial 20/20 where they showed the children of 9-11 victims who were unborn at the time had me sobbing. I simply can't imagine looking at my child, seeing their daddy in their eyes, and knowing they will never know him. So last night, I held my firefighter just a little closer, a little longer, a little tighter.


343...you will never be forgotten.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

One of the most beautiful, meaningful posts I've ever read. Many thanks to your firefighter.