Saturday, April 17, 2010

Still Alive

I'm still here and alive, but it's been some rough times. I'm not sure if I'm sicker this time than I was when I was pregnant with Kaylee, but it's definitely been harder as I have two kids to chase around…and it's definitely worse than with Logan. Super fortunately, Adam had some time he needed to take off, but due to it being hard to get coverage, his days were sort of random. He had this entire past week off, which was wonderful.

He went turkey hunting a few mornings, so that was nice for him to get away in the…ahem…quiet and have some time to himself. I'm guessing he treasured and enjoyed that time more than he let on. One afternoon I was able to get out and go to the spa, which was super nice. It had been a while since I went, and I had a gift certificate that Adam gave me for Christmas that I needed to use. 30 minute massage, mani and pedi, and I was hoping to feel good all night. Unfortunately, I got super sick that night, but at least the spa was nice while it lasted.

The kids have been enjoying being able to play outside every day. Adam and Kaylee got new mulch for under their play structure. There were several times this week that I was working and Logan was napping and Adam and Kaylee were off together doing their work. She is generally a good helper and loves to work. I hope that sticks around long into the future. It is kind of funny though…if I just ask her to pick up a toy, it's a tossup if she will listen right away. However, if I tell her I have a job for her, she is usually jumping at the chance to have a job and then asks for more and more. Funny kid.

The other thing I'm working on is ideas and planning for a special jewelry show I'm doing on the 30th. My sister-in-law works for the Boys and Girl's Club, and they just learned that they have a LOT of money to raise by May 1, or their club will be closed. That means that several people will lose their jobs, including my SIL, and over 100 children will lose the invaluable care given to them.

I'm sure they do more than this, but some of what I know them to do is before school care, after school care, summer care, fieldtrips, healthy snacks, help with homework, supervised and safe play time. As soon as Megan told me what could potentially happen, I offered to do a jewelry show and donate 100% of my profits to the club. We're hoping to get tons of people there and raise a bunch.

It breaks my heart to think of what might happen to some of these kids without the club. Will they turn into latchkey kids? See their grades drop? Miss out on the love and mentorship they get from the workers there who love them? What will this mean for the single moms who depend on the care their kids receive while they work to make ends meet? I'm sure for some of the kids it might not be that big of a deal, but for others, the implications will be huge. To my knowledge, there are no programs anything like this in that area, and childcare is also hard to find… So be praying that through the show and other means, their (large) goal is met. (Oh, and while you're at it, pray that my super-emotional self doesn't cry during the show…) ;)

1 comment:

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Hope you start feeling better soon. I was most sick with Kameryn, and yes, it was harder because of having to keep up with the other two. But luckily it does go away! :) Been thinkin' about ya :)