Friday, March 12, 2010

How On Earth…

Did my baby girl get to be three?




It seems like only yesterday I was 10 and dreaming of having a family, and now she is 3. I'm sitting here trying to figure out the words to explain what this little girl means to me. And you know what? There are no words. I can try, but it would only be an attempt. I think back to the time when we very first found out we were pregnant, and shortly after experienced the trauma of losing that baby. If this has happened to you, you know what I'm talking about. God's grace to us, however, was that we quickly got pregnant again, this time with no baby complications.

It's hard to say that I'm glad we lost the first baby, but when I look at my little blue-eyed, blond-haired, spirited little girl, I can't bring myself to say I wish it didn't happen. God allowed us to go through that for reasons only known to Him, and then gave us the miracle of Kaylee. I know it sounds weird, and it's not some mystical weirdo thought, but I can't help but think she got a double portion of personality and spunk…

Kaylee's actual birthday was the 11th, but I didn't have a spare moment to blog about it. We had a great day all.day.long. Fortunately, Adam was already off and I was able to work out my schedule to not have to work at all on her birthday (well, until after she went to bed…). Kaylee's main birthday present was a princess bed. We had to think smart to figure out a way to get her bed taken down and the new one put up while she was in the house. We involved her with the taking down process. We told her we needed to take down her bed and clean her room. (I told her we needed to clean it really well to remove the half-bottle of baby powder she shot out the night before when she was supposed to be in bed…ahem.)

It was funny how into it she got. She was all about helping take down the bed and put all the screws in a bag, wipe down the walls, and vacuum the floor. Once we were finished with this, I took the kids into our room, and we watched a few cartoons while Adam carried in the bed. Once he had it all set up, he took the kids outside while I put her other gifts on the bed.

He brought them in and we called her back to her room. Her eyes lit up and she kept saying, "Where did you have this? Oh my dear! Where was this? Oh my dear. I can't believe it! I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" But as soon as her little eyes saw a small truck we got for Logan, all attention was off her own gifts and onto giving it to Logan and making sure it was open and getting really excited for him. I had to work hard not to cry as I watched my little, sweet girl selflessly loving on her brother.

She was so incredibly thankful for everything she got, and kept telling us, "Happy birthday to you, too," and thinking that some of her presents were for us. Over and over I had to tell her, "These are yours. They're ALL for you. It's YOUR birthday." The funny thing…she only got a few small gifts because she got a bed, yet she still didn't think they were all for her. There are so many directions my mind would like to go with this thought, but that will be for later.

While she played with some new play-dough, Logan took a nap. Once he was awake, we took her for a fancy meal at Costco…hot dogs and ice cream. Neither kid complained at all. We walked back into the main section of the store to get some salad and ran into our pastor, who was so excited for Kaylee when she told him it was her birthday. He instantly got down to talk to her, and give her a dollar. She was so excited, and it warmed my heart (again). (Let's just say I had a really warm heart all day long.)

We're having a family get together on Sunday at my parents house, and we took her to order the cake. Since she completely knew what she wanted, we told them what size we wanted the cake and let her handle giving the directions of how it is to be decorated. And believe me, if they do it wrong, she will know. (Although I think they should be able to handle lots of colored hearts and sprinkles.)

Then it was time to go to the park and enjoy the b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l weather. I'm so thankful that we have so many great parks in this area. The kids absolutely love to play at the park…forget expensive options, the park will do just fine.

The day was finished out by a visit from Mimi, complete with a ladybug craft. By bedtime, Kaylee was so pumped up that it took a while for her to calm down, but finally, our little three-year-old princess was asleep in her bed.

Thank You, God, for the gift of Kaylee and the gift of being her mom. I pray that I make her proud and teach her well. Words cannot express…my love, gratitude, awe and thankfulness, responsibility…


No comments: