Monday, January 11, 2010

Titles Can Be Overrated

Life seems to be stacking up a pile of unfortunate events around here. I mentioned the flooding… Well, for the sake of a full list, let's back up and recap. Christmas morning our microwave broke. The day after Christmas the basement flooded. We learned the following day the dehumidifier had been broken for a while. We didn't realize it wasn't working because it has been cold and dry, and it's not uncommon for it to not pull a lot of water in weather like this. A few days ago, we realized we no longer had hot
warm
lukewarm water. It was all cold. Being that I didn't know the water heater was about to break, I didn't take a shower first thing. I opted to work while the house was quiet. Later, I had to take a freezing cold shower. Let's just say it was really, really quick, I had to give myself more than one pep talk and danced through the whole thing. When I got out, I was blue.

Today, the internet stopped working and I had to go to mom's all day to work. Kaylee missed her nap and was beyond her breaking point in the evening. Once we got home, the dogs jumped out of the van, breaking the wire that connects the kid's DVD players together, allowing Logan's to work. …oh, and somewhere in there the CD player we got Kaylee for Christmas stopped working… Adam is exchanging it tomorrow.

Yeah…it's been a doozy of a few weeks.

Sunday, our pastor preached on…Are You Serious? Adam and I laughed. Surly he has been following us around. I asked him about that after, and he looked at me with a puzzled expression. Evidently, he hadn't been following us. ;) Now I honestly don't believe that everything that happened was an attack. Things tend to happen. Tend to break. Tend to not work.

However…our reactions can either glorify God, allowing Him to use the circumstances to grow us, teach us, and bless us, or we can allow Satan to nudge in and captivate our thoughts and create disunity. Although I've had my fair share of words and thoughts I'd rather not record…no need for memories there, Thankyouverymuch…we have made a choice to claim God's promises. We are blessed beyond what we can say. Adam and I continually talk about God's faithfulness to us.

Someone bought us a new microwave.

Someone bought us a new dehumidifier.

We found a place to replace the carpet for close to the original cost.

And while we aren't swimming in dough, we are blessed enough to be able to replace the carpet right away.

It would be easy for me to think about all that has happened, and get caught in my own little world of woes. But that would be selfish and wrong.

We have a friend on bed rest in the hospital, fighting to keep her baby in as long as she can.

I read about a family whose little baby just died from complications of a severe virus. He was about 3 months old.

While I could go on and on about stories of people who are struggling and traveling harder roads than my silly problems, that's not the point. The world out there is deeper than the end of my nose, but it's easy to get stuck there, running into walls all the while.

God, that we might see the needs of those around us and reach out to those we can.

I'd love to think that I could change the world. I can't. Sometimes I can't even keep up with my own laundry.

I can, however, change the world for a person or two…

 

1 comment:

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

I needed this today. You are so right. I do feel like we've been under attack a little lately. Not so much with things breaking, but with my attitude {which can be far more dangerous, no?} I'm starting another Beth Moore study tonight. I'm praying for some guidance and strength right now. Hugs to you. Glad to hear that things are straightening themselves out a bit :)