Okay, first of all, I have to say that those catchy titles that everyone else comes up with…well your secret is out and I'm going to buy the book you have. Until then…yeah, see above. That's what you get.
Ahem…
So I wrote a post about this the other day, and it wouldn't post, so quickly, because I know you're on the edge of your seat wondering…yes, I'm looking for a new hairstyle. Wow…glad I got that out there. I'm sure you're glad too. But see, the problem is I have an unruly mane very thick, hard to deal with hair. So I might see a hairstyle I love, and be totally unable to support it. So anyway…if you see someone roaming down the street resembling a beast, it might just be me, with a bad cut…or something like that.
But on to today, the real issue at hand. I woke up with a list of to-dos longer than I knew I could accomplish. I got on somewhat of a good run with it, however, and my outlook was bright. I made it through my first transcription within a reasonable amount of time.
Then somewhere, I don't even remember when, I got into a fight over Cheerios. Seriously…Cheerios.
Kaylee, plainly on purpose, dumped an entire bowl of Cheerios on the floor. So, I asked her to please pick them up. She declined. And, well, because a request like that is not declinable in this house, the cartoon she was currently being allowed to watch was turned off…until she picked up the Cheerios. She declined again. Sparing every little detail, it turned into an enormous struggle, veering off the Cheerio path and coming back.
Mind you, it wasn't entirely about the Cheerios. It was about discipline and follow through on my part, and teaching obedience and respect on Kaylee's part. And boy is it hard.
I really had too much to do to deal with it. I needed to get my work finished. I needed to work on other things. I needed to get some housework done. (Which, by the way, never got touch, let alone accomplished.) And I most certainly didn't need to get into a fight over Cheerios.
The fact of the matter was, however, that I had to deal with it. It wasn't about winning or domineering. It was about loving my little girl so much that, even though she didn't like it at the time, I taught her that her behavior wasn't acceptable or to be tolerated.
Being that Kaylee is now two and a half, struggles like this are happing more often than they used to. She is very bright, and knows how to work the system, if you know what I mean. She really is a good girl. She uses her manners almost all of the time. She is kind to her brother. She listens…most of the time. I really am not complaining about her…or really even the day we had today.
All I'm saying is that it's hard sometimes disciplining. It's easier to flip on Backyardigans, Dora or whatever and deal with it…later. But later might never come. It might always be…later. Then what?
So as tired as it might make me, and as hard as it is, I have to keep going. Press on. Pick my battles, but press on. Because I love my kids, and it can be no other way.
2 comments:
Boy do I know what you mean! And you're right. It might be tough, but we do what we do because we love our children and want them to be the best they can be. My girls are a little older, and especially my seven year old can understand a little better why I expect what I expect. But every now and again I think they think I'm just being mean or saying "no" to say "no". I have to try to explain to them that we have rules for a reason. But it's hard. You're right. All this blabber to say, 'I hear ya, girlfriend!'
And good luck with the haircut. I have thick unruly hair too. Sometimes it's not so fun :)
Oh, yes, I can relate! You are so right about how important it is to be consistent, even when the issue itself is so silly. This made me think of a time when David and I had a face-off over blueberries. Ridiculous. But the HEART of the matter is most definitely not ridiculous, and it's his little heart that I'm trying to teach and train and win for Jesus.
Keep up the good work. You're not alone in this battle!
Post a Comment