To someone looking in, I would say they could assume that my life is perfect. I mean, wonderful, loving, talented husband. Two kids…healthy, picture-perfect cute (you know, if I could ever get them both to look at the camera at the same time). ;) Two dogs. House. Vehicles. Provisions that I am thankful every day of my life.
And yes, I will never for a second downplay my immense blessings.
But that person looking in would only get a partial view. This is the same for anyone who looks at another woman and thinks, "She has it all. If only I could be a little more like her, I'd be happy." Blessed…yes. Perfect, one to be envied…far from it. (Oh, and for the record, the Queen of Comparisons…we won't even go there.)
Lately I've felt in my spirit a quickening…a breakthrough on the horizon. Only…it hasn't come, yet. And if I don't constantly return my spirit to the focus it should have, I tend to sit down at pity party…table for one…far more than I would like to admit.
Now I fully believe this breakthrough, or whatever it is, will come. But, ah, God, can You hurry it up? Has anyone been there? You pray, wait, pray, wait…and you feel oh so close. And then nothing. Or at least it seems like nothing.
I just started Beth Moore's Esther. And although everything has been good, one line caught my attention because it was in big letters in the margin it spoke so clearly to me.
"When we trust our lives to the unseen but ever-present God, He will write our lives into His story and every last one of them will turn out to be a great read. With a grand ending."
Now this anticipation feeling...it's always lingering, but fortunately not always super-strong. Otherwise I'd be exhausted-more than I am anyway.
So I'm in for the journey, wherever it may go. I'm so excited to do the rest of the study. I have my running shoes on, ready to go. Okay, okay, okay, you got me. I have my large coffee in hand, ready to go. Go on, go on, laugh. You know you want to.
I look forward to sharing bits and pieces of Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman. Amen, Beth, you said it. And perhaps you said it best when you said that one of the hardest parts of being a woman is other women. But truth be told, in my opinion, it can also be one of the best parts of being a woman.
I truly cherish the few, close girl-friends I have.
And while I might look at some other girl and wish I could fit into her super-skinny jeans, I know that my post-baby pouch would only fall over the edge, resulting in a less than glamorous effect. But you know what? That's really okay because Ms. Super-Skinny Jean girl might be looking at my babies and wish she too could have kids. So you never know what is going on through the glass window. It might not be as clear as it appears.
3 comments:
Oh my....I could have written this. I have been feeling the EXACT same way for some time now and can't seem to stop comparing my life, circumstances, etc. with other people's. It's this sickness women have. It IS hard being a woman! Thank you for sharing yor heart. I am encoraged to know I am not the only one going through the comparison struggle.
Yes, yes, yes! I've been feeling the same, but I'm getting better about doing the comparison. Whenever I start "wishing" to be more toned, prettier, less tired, more "together", have more money, I try to remember all of the blessings in my life. I really am so very blessed with a wonderful husband and three beautiful and sweet children. God is good! You've got me so excited to start Esther!
Gosh - I agree! I could have written that. It is a struggle that I think almost all of us go through and yet none of us very often admit! It can be such competition trying to keep up with women who claim to be Super Moms - having it all together. It is so good for us to daily look around at our blessings, our bodies, our families, our health, our homes...and say THANK YOU to Him who gives us all things. Bless you!
Post a Comment