Sunday, February 1, 2009

Learning...

Yesterday my friend Terisa came by to teach me how to crochet. Terisa is very patient. I say this because even with help from Mom, Kaylee was running all over the place and every other second was taking Terisa's yarn out of her crate. There was at least one time that she stole three or more balls of year... I told Kaylee that I would teach her how later...in ten years...because almost two is not old enough to crochet. Just old enough to unravel all the yarn and make a trip to the craft store necessary.

But...even with Kaylee running all over and Logan being pitiful, I learned. I am so excited to be able to make a blanket now. Soon we are going to get together and work on other crafty things...knitting hats...making cards, all kinds of stuff. It may sound silly, but I am really pumped to have someone who I can do this kind of stuff with.

I was reflecting the other day about where I am in life. I feel blessed beyond words to be able to be home with my kids. However, in doing this there are many changes. I am no longer around other people (adults) very much. Dora and Diego have replaced Rachel... I do miss having friends, so times like yesterday are also very special.

I think that internally I have struggled some with this change, somewhat not even knowing that the struggle was going on. I used to have tons of friends in high school and college and the few years after, and then sort of suddenly things switched. I lost touch with many of my friends (some of whom I am reconnecting with through facebook, yeah!) And this stage of life is not so full of those friends. BUT...it is full of my kids. There are times when it is hard. Times when another adult around would be nice. (Yes, Adam is around, and he is my best friend...these times are referring to the times when he is at work and I have the kids by myself for an extended time.)

This time in my life, mostly devoted to my kids will be a time that I will cherish, and do cherish. I was transcribing a sermon yesterday that was focused on Jesus and the way He changed the way that children were viewed. It's too much to get into, but it was a great sermon. He pointed out things I had never realized or though of before. The sermon was also directed towards the need that there is today for kids to have adults in their lives. He gave some statistics and one of them was that some kids receive 15 minutes or LESS of undivided attention a WEEK from their parents!!!

Now most of the time when I am transcribing I am paying attention and noting things, but it is my job so I don't always really focus on what is being said. The faster I work, the better. But there were several times during this sermon that I actually stopped. 15 minutes or less? Wow.

And we wonder why kids are the way they are? We wonder why there is no respect? No manners? THIS is why.

My kids will NEVER, NEVER, EVER be able to say this. THEY will be the ones complaining when I am in the back seat on their dates when they are 20. I will be the mom who will never go away.

Well, just kidding...sort of...

SO anyway, this has been a post of many directions and rantings. Brought to you by the letter K and the number 3.

1 comment:

Terisa said...

wow, 15 minutes or less... that is so sad! how is the crocheting going?? hopefully you're getting into a rhythm. :)